CNC Cylinder Port Cutting Machine
Project: Design machine to cut side ports in 2-stroke engine
cylinder sleeves for engine machine shop.
- Evaluated interference/range of motion of various cutter
designs using SolidWorks
- Researched servo and stepper motor control and procured
low-cost stepper motor driver
- Wrote polar-coordinate CAM program to generate tool paths
for ports of any shape and size.
- Wrote motor control software to execute tool paths while
avoiding resonant frequencies of each stepper motor (causes uncontrolled
- Constructed test rig from old ink jet printer, to verify
software and motor controller integration.